Friday, July 11, 2008

Hummingbirds!



Happy Friday, y'all!

I can't think of a better way to go into the weekend than with Hummingbirds! I actually took these last winter, because that's when we get them down here. These are Rubythroat Hummingbirds (RTH for short).

The first two shots are of a juvenile male who is just coming into his red throat feathers. The last is of a female who decided to hang out one afternoon. She must have been there for at least an hour, flying down to the feeder just below this tree, having a snack, then flying back up into the tree for a bit of a rest.

And before anyone gets photo-critical, let me just say that it's really tough to get a shot of a moving hummingbird without pro equipment! Don't forget to click on the images!




Hummingbirds always make me smile -- Have a great day & weekend!

P.S. -- Sorry I enabled comment moderation this morning - I got my very first ever spam comment! I'll see how it goes and I'll probably remove it later. Thanks for your patience!

4 comments:

Companion Wulf said...

Wow! I've always loved hummingbirds. They're cool to watch, almost like a feathered insect. Hehe!

Anonymous said...

wow! how did you ever photograph that very fast moving creature?

RJ Flamingo said...

Funny you should say that, Wulf. We have an insect down here called a hummingbird moth. It's nearly the same size as a hummer (the bird, not the car), and sips nectar from some of the same flowers through a beak-like protrusion. From a distance, you can confuse the 2!

All I can say, Willa, is luck and patience! I was delighted in these, even though they're not so sharp. I like the one where you can see his wing feathers!

Rambling Woods said...

Those are great photos..I many blurry ones..

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=1f14b0e02a4db68a0cdb077acb6cfbcb