Saturday, July 5, 2008

Continuing Homage

...and now, for something completely different - a rocket ship!

No, seriously. In a continuing homage, this 4th of July weekend, I thought I would pay tribute to a part of America's heritage that has always captured my imagination, since I was knee-high to a grasshopper, and which has been sadly neglected lo, these last - seemingly endless - eight years: the Space Program.

When I was a kid, they used to drag us out of class and park us in front of the communal TV every time there was a launch and a landing. So, when we went to Houston last year, MJ and I absolutely had to visit the Johnson Space Center and NASA.

When I shot these, it wasn't to necessarily record the visit ("Oh, yeah. A rocket. Oooo.") When we walked into the building where they display the Saturn rocket - the one that made it to moon, etc. - I started to really look at all these components and began to wonder where engineering and science leaves off and art begins. Or is there a line of demarcation? Don't forget to click on the images for the full effect!












But for those of you who miss the flowers, I give you the little wildflower meadow-lets, if you will, that NASA planted all around the Space Center to soften its environmental impact on its surroundings:





I want to do this at my house.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=1f14b0e02a4db68a0cdb077acb6cfbcb