Sunday, October 26, 2008

Winter's Coming!

Do you know how I know Winter's coming (and all the way down here, it ain't as simple as leaves turning color or a special quality to the sunlight, etc.)?



She's baaaaack! My little female Painted Bunting has returned to my feeders!

Isn't it funny how you tend to refer to them in the possessive? Here we have a truly wild and free creature, who, because she likes to visit my yard for the occasional meal in autumn and winter, has become mine. Just like the Gray Catbird who we've named "Catbert". Probably isn't even the same catbird, or perhaps one of several but we only ever see one at a time. Silly.

Okay, this isn't a current photo, but I'll get one soon, now that I know she's here.

But I'm overjoyed because - this week alone - I've seen the Painted Bunting, Catbert, and a couple of the Turkey Vultures (fly-overs, of course). That can only mean one thing: Winter's Coming! And down here, it just doesn't get any better than that.

3 comments:

Daisy said...

What a pretty little bird! I have never seen a bird like that in my yard. And I spend many, many hours staring out the windows.

Rambling Woods said...

I love this...I named a cooper's hawk Scary Cooper so I am all with you on this one....

Beverly said...

Yeah...I miss 'my' pink-butts (what I call Rosey-Finches). They'll be back soon...that's how I tell it's winter! :)

Lovely, lovely blog! Thanks for sharing!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=1f14b0e02a4db68a0cdb077acb6cfbcb